Turner Theatrical and Performance Design Fund


Design for the theatrical and performing arts embodies a distinct combination of disciplinary immersion and interdisciplinary collaboration. Exceptional theatrical and performance design happens when experts firmly rooted in their individual fields, including but by no means limited to apparel design, interior architecture, furniture, painting, textiles, illustration, graphic design, industrial design, photography, film/video, ceramics, glass, jewelry, and the liberal arts, come together and combine their knowledge and artistry into a physical creation that communicates in a wholly new way.

The Robert Turner Theatrical and Performance Design Project at RISD was established to support the teaching of interdisciplinary courses that integrate various elements of theatrical and performance design.

This project may fund two courses per year.


  • Only new courses (not offered previously) will be considered
  • Preference will be given to courses open to students at all levels, regardless of major
  • The course must involve at least two RISD departments and may also include an external collaborator(s)
  • Departments may be within the same division, but preference will be given to cross-divisional collaborations
  • The fund will support two faculty members per course. The opportunity is open to all full-time faculty and part-time faculty with at least two years of service
  • Additional funding may come from divisional funds if the course is taught by more than two faculty members

Course proposals must include the following:

  • Turner Fund application form (available on the application page)
  • Course syllabus
  • Budget and budget justification
  • Completed Course Proposal Form, signed by your Department Head and Dean
  • A letter of support from the external collaborator(s), if appropriate

DEADLINE: Proposals are due the first Wednesday in November

REVIEWED BY: Deans Council

Patricia Barbeito
Dean of Faculty

To apply:

Faculty members may apply for all grant programs, except the Materials Fund, by using the Academic Affairs grant portal, which can be found here:


Note: Faculty members no longer have to submit a Notification to Submit an Application and may apply directly using the link above.

Scroll Up