RISD Global Engagement and Curricular Development Fund
RISD Global and the Associate Dean of Faculty are pleased to pilot a fund to support faculty curricular development around global engagement.
In its first year (January 2015 through August 2015), the fund will support up to three successful applicants to incorporate global engagement and travel to research and develop curriculum for on- or off-campus programs and courses. Each recipient will receive funds towards the costs for an approximate 10-day research visit to a site.
In supporting RISD’s mission to “making lasting contributions to a global society through critical thinking, scholarship and innovation,” the fund seeks to support faculty in the research and development of curriculum that specifically aims to:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the relationship between local and global issues
• Use knowledge of diverse cultural frames of reference, practice and alternate perspectives to think critically and solve problems
• Underscore the importance of an openness to cultural difference and ambiguity, and
• Display curiosity about global issues and cultural differences, specific to a practice, field, and global citizenship most broadly.
Full- and part-time faculty members are invited to submit an application to the fund. Support will cover all travel including: flights, accommodations, ground transportation, and networking.
To apply, please submit to Tracie Costantino (firstname.lastname@example.org) a 750 word proposal that:
• Addresses the goals of the proposed global engagement
• Provides a justification for the culture, community/ies, and/or location you will visit/engage with
• Outlines how this exploration fits into a specific area of a department’s curriculum, whether in a major, concentration, Foundation Studies, or graduate program
• Discusses whether the proposed plan fits within an existing or new area of research, professional or creative practice
In addition, all proposals should include a draft budget and timeline for the proposed exploratory site visit, and be accompanied by a letter of support from the relevant Department Head or Dean. A sub-committee of the Provost Council and the Director of RISD Global will review the proposals.
Proposal deadline: January 23, 2015
Fund recipients will provide a report, and share their experiences as part of a moderated panel discussion, for the RISD community; and RISD Global + the Associate Dean of Faculty will follow-up to stay apprised of the course development and implementation.
Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.