Welcome Sheri Wills, Dean of Fine Arts

To the RISD community,

I am pleased to announce the appointment of Sheri Wills as our next Dean of Fine Arts. An artist whose work is based in film, video performance and digital media, Sheri comes to RISD from the University of Rhode Island, where she has served as professor of Art & Art History and director of the interdisciplinary Film/Media program. Previously an American Council on Education fellow in the Cooper Union President’s Office, Sheri led Cooper’s Periodic Review Report for Middle States accreditation during a period of dramatic change at the institution. She holds a MFA in Film Media and New Media and an MA in Modern Art History, Theory and Criticism from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

sheriSheri brings a keen interest in the fine arts and the role they play in the world. She has extensive knowledge of teaching models from the top art schools around the world and I am sure she will be a great participant in developing teaching and learning at RISD. She has broad experience of art practices and I am sure she is looking forward to working with you all on supporting and developing our own practices.

Sheri will spend time on campus this summer getting to know a wide range of people before officially assuming the role of dean on August 25, 2014. Please join me in extending a warm welcome to her.

I’d like to extend my thanks and appreciation to the members of the search committee: Dean Patti Phillips (chair), Assistant Professor Angela Dufresne, Director of Global Programs + Partners Gwen Farrelly, Associate Professor Jocelyne Prince and Director of Employee + Labor Relations Liz Rainone. RISD has been well served through their efforts.

I’d also like to extend my deep gratitude to Professor Anais Missakian, who has graciously and thoughtfully served as interim Dean of Fine Arts for the past three years. Anais is looking forward to pursuing her work as a practicing textiles artist and pursuing some exciting new projects while taking a well-deserved sabbatical in the fall.

Pradeep Sharma, Professor
Provost, Rhode Island School of Design

Fine Arts, Sheri Wills

Scroll Up