John W. Smith appointed Director of the Museum of Art

On behalf of Dr. William Tsiaras, Chair of the Search Committee and incoming Chair of the Museum Board of Governors, I’m pleased to share with you the news that John W. Smith has been appointed Director of the Museum of Art effective fall 2011.

John joins us from the Smithsonian Institution’s Archives of American Art where he served as Director since 2006. Prior to the Archives, he was Director of Collections, Exhibitions and Research at the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. Please read the attached press release for more on his distinguished background and accomplishments.

As announced last May, the Museum Director will be reporting directly to the Chair of the Board of Governors who reports to the Chair of the Board of Trustees.

The Museum will continue to provide formal and informal learning opportunities for our students and faculty, as a vibrant center for art and design.

I would like to extend my thanks to Ann Woolsey who has so ably served as Interim Director of the Museum and member of the Cabinet since August 2009. Under Ann’s leadership the Museum has introduced new programs for families, adults and youth, secured funding to put more of the collection on the website, renovated important galleries, and mounted major exhibitions.

I look forward to John’s joining our RISD and Providence communities. I know he will make many significant contributions.

Sincerely,

John Maeda, president
John Maeda (president@risd.edu)

110615_museum_announcement[1]

Andy Warhol Museum, John W. Smith, Museum of Art, Smithsonian Institution

Scroll Up