CALL: EHP Chief Critic AY2016-2017
RISD|Rome: European Honors Program
Call for Chief Critic, Academic Year 2016-2017
Full- and part-time faculty from all divisions are invited to apply to be the RISD Chief Critic in the School’s European Honors Program (EHP) in Rome. The Provost will make the Chief Critic appointment upon recommendation from the EHP Committee and Dean of Graduate Studies.
Session: Applications should be made for the Academic Year 2016-2017 (applications for individual semesters can be considered, i.e. Fall 2016 or Spring 2017; priority will be given to those candidates who can commit to the role for one full academic year.)
Information: The EHP Committee selects students from various departments to spend one EHP session in Rome. The Chief Critic is responsible for the studio and academic components of the program in Rome. Students work closely with the both the Chief Critic and the Director, Ezio Genovesi. General Information on EHP can be found here; you can visit this webpage to learn about a recent exhibition that focused on work inspired by the program.
Eligibility requirements for full-time faculty include three years and 18 TUs as full-time faculty at RISD, plus a demonstrated interest in working closely with students from various disciplines. Knowledge of Italy and Italian is also desirable, but not necessary. Ability and willingness to be flexible is essential.
Eligibility requirements for part-time faculty include an accumulated 18 TUs of service as part- time faculty at RISD, plus a demonstrated interest in working closely with students from various disciplines. Knowledge of Italy and Italian is also desirable, but not necessary. Ability and willingness to be flexible is essential.
Application: The statement of intent should:
- Outline your approach to guiding a group of approx. 26 students from across all RISD departments in a studio-based, independent-study semester that is intended to immerse the students in their practices (within and beyond their disciplines of focus), in the city of Rome, and in the context of Italy and Europe.
- Address your interest in working closely with students from various disciplines and departments at RISD.
- Summarize the specific expertise and interests you will bring to the EHP Program in Rome. Why you? Why now?
- Please speak to your specific interests in being the Chief Critic for RISD’s Rome-based program at this time. Why Rome today?
- Address why, and how, you think students in the program will benefit from
Submission: Interested Faculty must send, via email, a statement of intent (approx. 1-3 pages) and curriculum vitae by October 30, 2015, to email@example.com with “CHIEF CRITIC APPLICATION” in the email subject line.
Interviews: The Committee will interview finalists in November 2015.
Please feel free to discuss the position with EHP Committee members. EHP Committee members include:
- Calef Brown, Illustration
- Paolo Cardini, Co-chair, Industrial Design
- Gwen Farrelly, Co-Chair, Ex-officio
- Ezio Genovesi, EHP, Ex-officio
- Ken Horii, Foundation Studies
- Holly Hughes, Painting
- Patricia Phillips, Dean of Graduate Studies, Ex-Officio
- Susan Van Der Closter, Liberal Arts
- Clement Valla, Graphic Design