2015 Spring Graduate Studies-Funded Research Assistantships | faculty application
- Research Assistants are graduate students engaged in faculty-guided and faculty-directed research.
- Research Assistantships include compensation for the graduate student, but also are meaningful educational and research experiences and opportunities to contribute to the creation of new knowledge.
- Research Assistantships are not work-for-hire.
Full-time RISD faculty and part-time RISD faculty with multi-year contracts can apply for research project support in the form of Research Assistantships. Note: Prior recipients of GS-Funded Research Assistantships must have submitted a final report to be eligible to apply again.
1. Research Assistantships can begin as early as March 2, 2015 and can be of any duration as long as the Research Assistant’s work is completed by May 29, 2015.
2. The Director of Research and the Dean of Graduate Studies convene a group made from the RISD Research Advisory Council to review applications and make recommendations.
3. If the request is approved, a Research Assistantship contract is generated for the graduate student based on the information provided by the supervising faculty member. Payment is made by check through RISD’s monthly payroll, or can be directly applied to the graduate student’s tuition account upon request.
4. Other project expenses cannot be funded through this process.
5. When a request is funded, a brief report from the faculty member is due one month after the end date of the Research Assistantship. The Research Assistant is also expected to complete a brief evaluation of the experience.
6. Use this link to submit the faculty application form – by Monday, February 16, 2015 for projects beginning March 2, 2015 or later.
Complete the application from your RISD Google e-mail account:
The faculty application form requests this information:
Supervising faculty name
Research project title
Research project description
Describe anticipated research project expectations, outcomes, and learning objectives for Research Assistant
Assistantship start date
Assistantship end date
Estimated total number of hours. Note: the minimum is 20 hours and the maximum is 200 hours.
Describe role of Research Assistant
Describe schedule of Research Assistant
Are you requesting more than one Research Assistant? If yes, complete an application for each position.
If you have identified a grad student, provide name and department.
If you have not identified a grad student, would you like Graduate Studies to help you find a Research Assistant?
Have you secured other internal or external funding for this project?
Indicate if you have received GS-Funded Research Assistantships and if you submitted a final report.