Hirsch Sculpture Unveiled

Ann Hirsch’s (Critic, Ceramics) sculpture honoring Boston Celtics Legend Bill Russell will be unveiled at Boston City Hall Plaza, November 1, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Hirsch’s approach focuses on the body, movement and traditional sculpture technique to create spaces for interaction that enhance the experience of a place. The artwork represents Bill Russell the whole man, honoring him as an athlete, coach, human rights activist, ground breaker and mentor. The larger than life sculpture of Russell is on a low base in game action, poised with basketball in hand about to pass the ball to a teammate. He aims towards a low-standing, open stone engraved with Mr. Russell’s quote, “The most important measure of how good a game I’d played was how much better I’d made my teammates play.” As visitors step up on the open base, ready to catch the pass, they become a teammate, not only in the game of basketball, but in continued advocacy for human rights and mentorship programming. Ten granite blocks, surround Russell for a total of 11 elements representing Mr. Russell’s 11 championships with the Boston Celtics. Each plinth features a key word and a corresponding quotation to illuminate the myriad of accomplishments spanning Mr. Russell’s career both on and off the court. The artwork is inscribed in a field of brick and granite pavers that reflect the proportions of a court.

“Mr. Russell’s legacy is vital to the story of this city in sports and in terms of human rights,” Ann Hirsch said. “I am proud and humbled to have been chosen to create this artwork and am especially thrilled that I will be able to work as a mentor myself by involving local children in my process through the Shamrock Foundation.”

still-for-unveiling2

Ann Hirsch, Bill Russell, community art, News, Public Art, Sculpture, Shamrock Foundation