Heinrich Hermann: an update on recent work and publication

Heinrich Hermann sent us this update about his work: an article by the New York Times on a mid-Century masterpiece he recreated in Maine, the other his essay published in the 2A Art and Architecture Magazine in Dubai.

“I am pleased to report that Pilar Viladas of the New York Times used her essay ‘Catching the Wave: The rebirth of a classic Modernist house,’ on the Wallace K Harrison and Isamu Noguchi-designed mid-Century masterpiece which I recreated over seven years after its complete destruction by fire, to inaugurate their new T Magazine online series called ‘Domesticities’

I had reported on some of the challenges of its recreation in the first volume of Int|AR.

Meanwhile I also received a bound copy of the November 2009 copy of 2A: Architecture & Art Magazine, published in Dubai. That issue reported on the Inaugural Architecture, Culture and Spirituality Symposium last March in Oregon. Its guest editors had invited me to expand my presentation there to form one of the four anchor-essays, ‘On Teaching the Design of Spiritually/Poetically Evocative Environments.’

I am pleased to say the 212 pages long bound copy is very well done, something the online version would not let one expect, which contains a few mistakes and omits most illustrations and captions but shows the full text.  Happily they retained my explicit advertising for the Interior Architecture Department and RISD throughout the text and in the endnotes.  It probably appeared too late to have had any impact on applications from that region but I hope it can do so next year.

With best regards,

Heinrich”