Recent RISD Recipients of Grants and Fellowships

FULBRIGHT GRANT

Sue Nguyen
Fulbright
Germany
Design
GD MFA 2007

The focus of this proposal is to research and document the cultural integration and separatism experienced in Berlin as a result of the Vietnamese diaspora. My proposal concentrates on two types of immigrants: (1) the refugees who were accepted by democratic West Germany as legal citizens, and (2) the workers who came to communist East Germany.

Monica Ogrodowski
Fulbright
Poland
Design
TX BFA 2009
The work of Polish textile artists of the 1960s and 1970s was rooted in the traumatic events of WWII and harsh realities of life under Communist rule. By translating abstract ideas into tactile works of art, these artists not only reflected popular Polish sentiment, they collectively revolutionized the field of textiles. The purpose of my year abroad through the Fulbright Program will be to introduce their influential work to a new generation.

Kristina Paabus
Fulbright
Estonia
Design
IL BFA 2000
She will study with Priit Pärn and Ülo Pikkov at the Estonian Academy of Arts (EKA) in Tallinn where she will be a visiting artist, follow a self-directed course of study and develop movement into her installation art.

Stefanie Pender
Fulbright
Italy
Sculpture
GL MFA 2009
The goal of my project is to fully immerse myself into the Venetian glass-factory tradition, to study the history of the Venetian glass industry, and to experience and observe the tacit knowledge of the glass artisans that has been a part of a lineage that can be traced to the Middle Ages.  I will partake in a formal apprenticeship in a factory with the glass master, Pino Signoretto.

WINDGATE CRAFT FELLOWSHIP

JooHyun Lee
BFA Jewelry
(June 2009)
I will use the Fellowship to participate in the Jewelry Design in Scandinavia (DIS) summer program to bring a greater understanding to my work and set up a studio space in Providence shortly after I get back from Denmark.l

Amy Fries
BFA Photography/Textiles
(June 2009)
To further my exploration and experimentation with materials that lie outside the realm of normal apparel craft (primarily latex and plastic) so that I can redefine what it means for something to be “wearable” and challenge the established notions of “craft.” She will be engaged in three-month apprenticeships in four different European countries.

GELMAN TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP

Allison Wucher, 2009, BFA Painting 2009
Julia Bland, 2008, BFA Painting 2008
Jessica Smith, 2007, BFA Jewelry 2007
Carina Cheung, 2006, BFA Glass 2006

TOBY DEVAN LEWIS FELLOWSHIP

Esteban del Valle, 2009, MFA Painting 2009
Jonathan Edwards, 2008, MFA Painting 2008
Stephanie Williams, 2007, MFA Sculpture 2007

WATSON FELLOWSHIP

Christopher Tolles, 2008, Furniture  2008
Jazzmen Lee Johnson, 2006, FAV 2006
Katy Dika, 2003, Apparel Design 2003

ST. BOTOLPH EMERGING ARTIST AWARDS

Anthony Cioe, 2008, Glass 2003

JACK KENT COOKE SCHOLARSHIPS

YuJune Park, 2007, BFA Furniture 2006

Fulbright, Grants and fellowships, Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship, RISD

Scroll Up